Ductless mini-split systems provide targeted heating and cooling in applications where traditional HVAC equipment is too expensive or impractical to install. If you’re looking for an ultra-quiet air conditioner or heat pump, Trane ductless mini-splits offer an attractive alternative to cumbersome ducted HVAC equipment and inefficient window units.
Why Ductless Beats Ductwork for Comfort
Conventional central air conditioners are bulky, complex and inflexible. Building designs are usually altered to facilitate the air distribution system. Deficient ductwork is the primary cause of poor HVAC equipment performance, since it’s often plagued by leaks, contamination and improper sizing.
In contrast, ductless mini-splits completely eliminate the need for ductwork. Every system is self-contained and exceptionally quiet. The indoor unit includes a fan coil and blower housed in a stylish cabinet that can be either wall or ceiling mounted. The condensing unit is always positioned outdoors away from the living area to minimize operating noise.
The versatility of ductless affords architects and engineers the freedom to optimize comfort without compromising the design of the home. Single-zone units can be used in different areas of the building for the ultimate in temperature control. Multi-zone units also provide great flexibility since up to eight air handlers can operate off one condenser. Single-zone units are ideal for garage conversions, room additions, data centers, media rooms and any area requiring supplemental cooling. Multi-zone systems can be configured to heat and cool an entire building.
How a Ductless System can Improve Home Comfort
There are many ways a ductless air conditioner or heat pump can improve the comfort in your home. Here are some of the most important benefits:
- Advanced Inverter Technology: Ductless air conditioners and heat pumps incorporate advanced inverter technology to provide extraordinary efficiency up to 26 SEER. An inverter regulates the operation of the compressor, so it precisely tracks the indoor load. Greater efficiency results in reduced utility costs, so you can lower the thermostat in summer without breaking your budget.
- Perfect for Retrofit Applications: Existing buildings often have structural impediments that force compromises in HVAC system design. When ductwork is installed in less than ideal conditions, your comfort may suffer. Since ductless systems work without ductwork, the air handler can be installed in the area where it will be most effective in providing maximum comfort.
- Zoned Comfort: Conventional HVAC systems usually rely on a single thermostat placed on a hallway wall. Unfortunately, a room with south and west exposure along with large windows will heat up much faster than the rest of the home in the summer. Each ductless air handler has its own thermostat, so every room in the home can be tailored to the comfort preference of that occupant.
- Ease of Installation: In conventional systems, comfort is often compromised in order to lower installation costs. This is especially true in retrofit situations where ductwork is typically buried in inaccessible areas. Ductless air conditioners only need one 3-inch hole in an exterior wall to function properly. Labor expenses are fairly stable no matter where the unit is positioned, so comfort is almost never affected by cost.
- Improved Indoor Air Quality: Dirt and dust accumulate in ductwork over time, which can create a serious indoor air quality problem. Ductless units eliminate the need for an air distribution network, and every ductless split system is equipped with advanced filtration media.
The Ductless Comfort Advantage
Ductless heat pumps and air conditioners are an attractive alternative to retro-fitting central systems and noisy window units. If you would like to learn more about the benefits of installing a ductless mini-split, call the experts at Pinellas Comfort Systems at 727-201-5879.